"To be fearless isn't really to overcome fear. It's to come to know it's nature."

About Me

My photo
The journey of a single woman, farming and living life without judgement.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Goodbye Turkeys

The turkeys finally went to their final destination yesterday.  I'm still not sure if they were the right kind of bird or not (I had ordered Broad Breasted Bronze...but they never really got broad).  But it was a fun farm experience and I'm excited to do it again next year!  I will be ordering them earlier and just processing them earlier, to avoid the fear of them getting too big.  I also want them to be out on pasture.  I'm curious how the second year will go!

The largest was just over 20lbs, the smallest 8lbs.  I'm not sure what the head cook is going to do with those, but maybe I can swipe them for myself!  The down side of the Ranch, unlike the other two farms I've worked on - the employees do not get the product.  Which kind of stinks.

I'm always grateful for the animals that we raise and eat.  I always thank them for the gift of food.  It's never easy sending animals; my heart always breaks.  But I remind myself why I raise this food: to give and educate people about healthy, safe meat to eat.  That's important too. 

1 comment: