"To be fearless isn't really to overcome fear. It's to come to know it's nature."

About Me

My photo
The journey of a single woman, farming and living life without judgement.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Reflection Time!

One year ago today I started my job at The Center.  Can you believe that?  I had packed up all my stuff and moved all my belongings to the middle of NOWHERE.  I read my journal entry from that day, and skimmed my days from beginning to end.  I do not regret my choice to leave that place.  And I was about to type how I wish things worked out there, but when I think about it I'm not sure if I do.  What a weird feeling.  I learned so much there and met some good friends.  But I can't imagine myself still living there.  I'm not saying that my home now is full of culture - it is by far not.  But the familiarity of where I am is helpful.  I'm much more comfortable walking down the street.  I'm much more comfortable talking to strangers.  It makes a huge difference.  And, there is more of my type of culture where I live now than there was in NY!!

In the mean time, here's my new read:


So exciting!!!  And there are two more on the way!  I'm bound and determined to get bees next year.  I like my job, but I think I need to spice things up a bit.  Do something I haven't done before.  I'm still enthusiastic about farming, but raising animals for meat gets to me a little.  Do not get me wrong - I love raising healthy, grass-fed meat for people and know exactly what went into the animals, how they were treated, knowing the life they had.  But I don't feel the connection to them as I did with dairy cows.  And in this therapeutic environment I'm in, it gets difficult to have people look beyond death.  I think bees could be a way for people to accept what farming is, therefore accepting all parts of farming.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment